Christopher P. Sobba
Attorney at Law
Chris Sobba assists clients with construction projects ranging from Alaska to Mexico and from Hawaii to the East Coast. He represents owners, general contractors, EPC contractors, subcontractors and engineers. Chris is driven to help each client achieve success – whether that is measured as the successful development and construction of a new project, or success with the resolution of claims that have surfaced on an existing project.
Prior to co-founding the James | Sobba law firm in November of 2018, Chris practiced construction law for 18 years in the construction group of a large Am Law Top 100 firm, eventually rising to the position of Vice Chair of the firm’s U.S. News and World Report Tier-One-ranked construction practice group. Chris is trusted by, and regularly advises and represents multiple ENR Top 40 contractors on their energy and construction projects across the country.
He provides advice to clients throughout the entire life cycle of their projects – planning, developing, procurement, contract drafting and negotiation, day-to-day advice during the life of the project, and finally, project close out, including handling claims and dispute resolution. If disputes arise, Chris investigates and pursues early resolution where appropriate, and prepares cases and sees them through trial or arbitration, where appropriate. Chris was recently honored and selected as one of America’s Top 100 Bet-the-Company Litigators in the State of Missouri.
Chris has experience advising clients in connection with a wide variety of energy and construction projects including:
The following is a list of representative matters Chris has handled for his construction industry clients:
- Represented ENR Top 5 contractor in connection with EPC contract and claims pertaining to large turbine replacement project in California.
Represented ENR Top 5 contractor in connection with lien claims on environmental retrofit of coal fired power generating facility in Kansas.
Represented ENR Top 40 contractor in connection with claims exceeding $200M pertaining to environmental retrofit of coal fired power generating facilities in Indiana and Ohio, including three week jury trial.
Represented ENR Top 25 contractor in connection with EPC contract and multiparty construction litigation with claims in excess of $200M relating to construction of a cement manufacturing facility, including four week arbitration hearing.
Represented ENR Top 40 contractor in connection with wastewater treatment facility in Texas.
Represented ENR Top 25 contractor in connection with claims concerning a prominent performing arts center.
Represented owner in multimillion dollar lawsuit concerning construction of a logging campsite and sort yard in Alaska.
Represented subcontractor in claim against ENR Top 15 contractor relating to infrastructure project at a federal site in Hawaii.
- Represented ENR Top 30 contractor in connection with wastewater treatment facility in Ohio.
- Represented general contractor in arbitration hearing and secured an arbitration award fully in the contractor’s favor concerning three multifamily residential construction projects in Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri.
- Represented power company in a multimillion dollar lawsuit relating to a crane collapse in Missouri.
- Represented prime contractor and surety in connection with three multimillion dollar Connecticut lawsuits stemming from a federal construction project at a military installation in Connecticut.
- Represented project owner in connection with a $1M-plus arbitration relating to a secured storage facility including a one week arbitration hearing.
- Represented contractor in connection with a termination by the Government of a federal construction project in Washington.
- Represented subcontractor and ENR Top 5 contractor in connection with a claim against the Government for differing site conditions on a project in Washington.
- Represented ENR Top 25 contractor in multimillion dollar claim against a prominent public university relating to design changes and schedule impacts.
- Represented and advised utility contractor in connection with multimillion dollar gas explosion cases in Wisconsin.
- Represented contractor in connection with appeals to the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals.
- Represented contractor in connection with claims in the Court of Federal Claims in Washington DC.
Represented ENR Top 10 contractor in connection with multimillion dollar claims pertaining to construction of the Metro Link rail project in St. Louis.
Represented contractor in connection with recovery of $5M paid to repair a 36 acre standing seam metal roof atop a steel manufacturing facility in Indiana.
Represented ENR Top 25 contractor in connection with recovery of amounts paid to repair a flat roof above a data center in Iowa.
Represented subcontractor in connection with a federal military project in Texas.
Represented prime contractor in connection with a federal project in Washington.
Represented prime contractor in connection with a federal project in Nevada.
Represented large energy and power company in connection with claims arising out of the environmental retrofit of a coal-fired power generating facility.
Represented ENR Top 10 engineering firm in connection with a mine roof collapse.
Represented large national contractor in connection with disputes pertaining to the construction of a prominent resort in Vail, Colorado.
Represented oil operator in connection with recovery of $1M loss sustained at its facility as a result of failed pumps.
Represented prominent east coast university in connection with development, procurement, contracting and construction of a large tunneling project on campus.
Represented subcontractor in connection with recovery of $3M+ claim against the government on military project in Hawaii.
Represented ENR Top 85 contractor and secure judgment in connection with construction of a multimillion clubhouse at a prominent country club in Kansas.
Represented ENR Top 85 contractor in three week jury trial concerning a condominium development and obtain multimillion dollar jury verdict and uphold it on appeal.
Publications & Presentations
Properly Addressing Defects In Construction
NBI Continuing Legal Education Presentation,
June 6, 2019
Delay & Disruption Claims
Construction Law: Advanced Issues and Answers; National Business Institute Seminar
March 4, 2016
Notice and Opportunity to Cure Provisions
Builders’ Association eNews
July 9, 2010
Tort Claims Against Design Professionals
American Institute of Architects
Presentation given to design professionals for continuing education credit
Construction Law and Construction Litigation
The University of Kansas Construction Law Society
Presentation given in Lawrence, Kansas.
Using a Mechanic’s Lien to Get Your Money
National Business Institute Presentation at full-day CLE in Overland Park, Kansas 2007
Private Construction in Kansas
Kansas City Small Business Monthly, September 2006.
The Importance of Well-Defined Scope
New Kansas Alternative Project Delivery Law Allows Design-Build and CM at Risk
AIA Legal Brief
Trends in Fairness in Contracting Statutes
ABA Forum on Construction
Law Division 9 Annual Meeting in San Diego, California.
Kansas: Fairness in Private Construction Contract Act
American Bar Association
Forum on the Construction Industry, Division 9